Important please read
We are able to open the clubhouse! On Friday July 17 the bar will be open from 8pm. In these unprecedented times there is always risk. If members visit the club it will be assumed they have read the notice to members and the risk assessment to maintain the safety of all members. It is your choice, your decision, and your responsibility to visit at your own risk.
A booking system is in place - information in the attached. A committee member will be there to help everyone adjust to the new system.
The bar has a new look with a perspex screen, queue ropes and a one way system. A few finishing touches and we should be able to release the risk assessment and guidance for you to read and then the club can welcome members for a Friday night ....
This Saturday July 11th we are planning to run our first dinghy race of the year, followed on Monday and Tuesday with Evening races. RYA and government guidance has been clarified over the last week and the emphasis is very much on maintaining social distancing on shore. This is in line with our Risk Assessment.
We do ask that if you are not rigging or launching your craft, please refrain from being on the racks and especially the slipways in the period preceding racing and as boats return to shore. If you are hoisting your sail on the slipway, please leave plenty of room for sailors ahead of you to return their trollies to the top of the slipway.
Please re-acquaint yourself with the independent sailing page on the website, including the ability to get yourself back to shore without support (bring a paddle). We hope that with onshore discipline we can start to experience the joy of sailing once more.
On Saturday we will be running one race with an ALL-IN start for ALL boats from both LSC and EYC. The results will be published as All-IN, LSC for the Harry Feltham Trophy and EYC for a club trophy. Pre entry by email is NOT required but details of any new or changed boats would help me in the race box.
On Monday and Tuesday for the Evening Races there will be TWO starts, first the SOLO class race and 5 mins later a start for the mixed-handicap fleet.
Good news for those of you that sail single handed boats or who sail with a member of your own family – Leigh on Sea SC and Essex YC will, weather permitting, be starting dinghy racing on Saturday 3rd and Sun 4th July, still no racing or sailing if you cannot socially distance in your boat from a non-family crew.
First- you MUST read and follow the risk assessment ‘COVID 19 guidance as published on the LSC website under the “Independent Sailing” page’. Please note that the clubhouse remains closed.
The policies we are adopting is that racing will only take place when the wind is Force 4 or less (approx. 18mph); we will be using normal club courses but restricted to those courses with marks on the North side of The Ray channel.
We are allowed hold races with up to 30 boats.
The starting sequences will be modified as follows for ALL races at weekends and Evening Series:
• Start 1 Solo Class – as published in the 2020 programme
• Start 2 Handicap Class (fast, medium and slow) 10 mins after start 1
If there are two races scheduled on a day the time between the starts for the second races will be 5 minutes.
To allow as many of the SOLOS and others not restricted to go racing I will take the Race Officer duties for the first few weeks in July from Sat 18th July I would like to revert to the revised Rota as published earlier this year and available here. Revised Sailing Instructions can be found on the same page; please note the rule changes.
If the weather this weekend allows us to race the start times are as follows, forecast for both days is F5 to 7!!:
• Sat 3rd
o Summer 1 Solo – 11:30 LSC (SteveC)
o Summer 1 Handicap – 11:40 LSC (SteveC)
o Summer 2 Solo approx. 12:45 LSC (SteveC)
o Summer 2 Handicap approx. 12:50 LSC (SteveC)
• Sun 4th
o Turnidge River Race – 12:30 LSC (SteveC)
I hope to see lots of you on the water this weekend but being realistic racing is at best a 50;50 possibility
Regards Steve Corbet
To Leigh-on-Sea Dinghy Racers
Your sailing committee is working to bring you racing whilst following the RYA approach of being considerate and conservative. The RYA is still awaiting clarification from government and thus we will publish supplementary Sailing Instructions on Friday, July 3rd. This will give the best opportunity to incorporate any new guidance. A COVID risk assessment that includes racing is available on the “About” / “Policy Documents” area of the club website. Racing will be by pre-entry only on a first come basis, if you join in a race without entering your position will not be taken and you could compromise the club’s ability to run racing. Currently it is planned to run multiple starts with six people per start.
We will hope to run racing this weekend (July 4th/5th) although at the time of writing, the wind forecast for the weekend exceeds the maximum stated in the risk assessment and therefore racing may be cancelled.
Following the announcement on easing restrictions by government today it looks as if opening the club abd racing in small groups may very soon be possible. To comply with regulations the committee have some work to do installing gel dispensers and marking up floors and so forth. We also have guidance to prepare and publish to all members who are hoping to race and to visit the club. We will do this as soon as we can, and will have more frequent updates to you on our progress. It is important to accept things won't be as they were before this pandemic, but at last we can prepare for new ways of enjoying sailing and new ways of visiting our club. Until then the racks and bircage are accessible for social sailing but the club house remains closed.
Page 8 of 20